Implementation Date : TBD
Revision Date : 2012.08.01
Review Date : 2012.08.01
Next Review : 2016.08
- identification: Yes, BIFF8 files will be identified using magic number, which is described in section 1.14 of BIFF8 Action Plan Background.
- validation: Yes, the validation of BIFF8 files will be performed according to the specification requirements in section 1.15 of BIFF8 Action Plan Background.
- characterization: Yes, please refers to section 2.1 of BIFF8 Action Plan Background for the list of BIFF8 technical metadata extracted.
- migration: Yes, BIFF8 files will be migrated to OOXML spreadsheet format.
- normalization: Yes, BIFF8 files will be normalized to Open Document Spreadsheet (ODF) via migrations to OOXML spreadsheet.
BIFF8 exhibits the following significant properties. They are the significant properties which the Florida Digital Archive intends to preserve for adopting migration or normalization policy.
- content: All cell data and formula will be preserved. Chart and Pivot tables may not be preserved.
- context: Context: Contextual information about the spreadsheet, such as author, title, etc, will be preserved.
- behavior: BIFF8 can encode VBA macros which can be used for defining custom spreadsheet behaviors. In addition, BIFF8 can contain external links to external sources. These behaviors may not be preserved.
- structure: Structural information such as the cell locations (row, column) and the nested worksheets will be preserved.
- appearance: BIFF8 can contain appearance attributes such as fonts, colors, sizes, cell formats, etc. Cell formats will be preserved. The rest of the appearance attributes may not be preserved
Long-term Preservation Strategy
Long-term Preservation Strategy for the original
Migrate to OOXML spreadsheet format which supersedes BIFF8 format. The OOXML spreadsheet format shares the same essential and distinguishing characteristics with BIFF8.
Long-term Preservation Strategy for the normalized
The migrated version will be normalized to Open Document Spreadsheet (ODS) format. Please refer to the action plan for OOXML spreadsheet format once OOXML spreadsheet format becomes supported by Florida Digital Archive.
- Evaluate the possibility of supporting the OOXML spreadsheet format in the Florida Digital Archive. Please note the draft specification for OOXML (DIS 29500) may be changed during the ISO standardization process.
- Evaluate the conversion to OOXML spreadsheets when Office Binary Translators to XML is available for spreadsheets (after summer 2008).
- Find and investigate suitable conversion software for converting OOXML spreadsheet to ODS. One of the possible tool is Open XML/ODF Translator command line software.