Implementation Date : 2007.06.29
Revision Date : 2012.08.01
Review Date : 2012.08.01
Next Review : 2017.08
- identification: Yes, by file extensions.
- validation: Yes. Format validation is based on the rules described in Section 1.13 of CSV Action Plan Background.
- characterization: Yes. Extracted format metadata are described in Section 2.1 of CSV Action Plan Background.
- migration: No
- normalization: No
CSV exhibits the following significant properties(note 1). It is intended to preserve and evaluate these significant properties when adopting migration or normalization policy in the future.
- content: The content of cell data and the optional CSV header will be preserved.
- context: N/A. CSV does not provide a metadata scheme to describe the environment on which a CSV was originally created or used.
- behavior: N/A. CSV does not contain interactive characteristics such as hyperlinks.
- structure: The structural elements of a CSV, including rows and columns, will be preserved.
- appearance: N/A. CSV does not store appearance attributes such as font (including font size or font style), color, alignment, etc.
Long-term Preservation Strategy
Long-term Preservation Strategy for the original
Migrate to a successor format that is open, standardized and formally documented.
Long-term Preservation Strategy for the normalized
- No action
1. “From digital volatility to digital permanence, Preserving spreadsheets”, Jacqueline Slats, The Hague, November 2003, http://www.digitaleduurzaamheid.nl/bibliotheek/docs/volatility-permanence-spreadsh-en.pdf